If you've read Our Story you'll know all about how MATB came about, the inspiration behind the brand and the process I went through to get to where we are now but I think it's really important to be totally transparent so I wanted to share a little more about my products and the amazing people I work with to bring them to life.
*Full disclaimer I'm yet to visit our factories personally but besides actually stepping foot in them (which I plan on doing later this year) I have taken every step possible to ensure the information I am sharing is true and correct.
- My fedoras are designed here in New Zealand by me. I personally work one on one with our Shanghai based manufacturer, GShow Textiles, to design a product that is uniquely ours.
- My wide brim fedoras are made from 100% Australian Wool imported as a raw material from Yimeng Textiles.
- We use genuine leather for the embossed headband and 100% cotton for the sweatband
- Every colour comes in both a kids size and 3 adult sizes. These sizes are based on the average sized head.
- Every hat is packaged in a 100% cotton drawstring carry bag with a custom illustration by the incredibly talented team at Friends of Friends Design
- The 'wide brim' on the adults hat is 7cm wide and 6cm on the kids.
- The 'Charlie' wide brim fedora is structured not soft so it will hold it's shape and is designed to sit quite high on your head
- I have designed the 'Charlie' to be unisex, from the style to the colours and fit.
- Every hat is delivered in a custom made hat box from NZ based company Quick Brown Box
- The manufacturing of our Wide Brims is a 2 part process. The transition from raw material to hat body is done by a machine and then the sewing, embellishing, inspecting and packing is done by a small team of skilled female artisans at GShow Textiles.
- I only use sea freight to ship our hats from China to New Zealand. Although this can take, on average, 5 weeks longer I believe it is a more sustainable and environmentally friendly freight option.
- Once the wide brims arrive in New Zealand and have been inspected by NZ customs they are delivered to me in Papamoa where I personally inspect them again.
- Every order is hand picked and packed by me, including a hand written note which are printed by local company Kale Print.
- I ship the orders around NZ, Australia and the rest of the world with NZ Post and Courier Post
- MATB is currently a one woman operation. I rope Simon, the boys and the rest of my family in every now and then but for the most part all the day to day running of things is done by me.
- The handful of incredibly skilled artisans who produce my wide brims in China work in safe, supportive and healthy environments. They are paid fairly and work reasonable hours and many of them have families of their own who they can comfortably support.
- I work with a number of great local businesses here in New Zealand from shipping agents to print partners, photographers and event companies who I will be forever grateful to for believing in my mission as much as I do!
- Lastly you (and the hundreds of other's who have joined our crew or purchased one of our Charlie wide brims) are my people too!
To see the rest of your crew proudly wearing their Charlie wide Brims follow the #matbcrew hashtag or search @meandthebrave on instagram
As always please feel free to email me or leave a comment below.